Contract Provisions on Termination
LAWS OF THE REPUBLIC OF VANUATU
CONSOLIDATED EDITION 2006
PART 10 – TERMINATION OF CONTRACT
- Termination of contract
Subject to the provisions of this Part
a contract of employment shall terminate on the last day of the period agreed in the contract or on the completion of the piece of work specified therein.
- Notice of termination of contract
(1) A contract of employment for an unspecified period of time shall terminate on the expiry of notice given by either party to the other of his intention to terminate the contract.
(2) Notice may be verbal or written, and, subject to subsection (3), may be given at any time.
(3) The length of notice to be given under subsection (1) –
(a) where the employee has been in continuous employment with the same employer for not less than 3 years, shall be not less than 3 months;
(b) in every other case –
(i) where the employee is remunerated at intervals of not less than 14 days, shall be not less than 14 days before the end of the month in which the notice is given;
(ii) where the employee is remunerated at intervals of less than 14 days, shall be at least equal to the interval.
(4) Notice of termination need not be given if the employer pays the employee the full remuneration for the appropriate period of notice specified in subsection (3).
During the period of notice an employee shall be entitled to a reasonable period of time off work without loss or reduction of remuneration in order to be able to seek other employment.