Department of Labour & Employment
Introduction: In 1997, the Vanuatu Government embarked on a major Comprehensive Reform Programme(CRP). The National Vision is “An Educated, Healthy and Wealthy Vanuatu”. From the Vision, a set of overarching national strategic priorities can be identified for allocation of development resources, as well as policy initiatives and implementation action. This is the basis for the PAA.
The priorities are;
- Private sector development and employment creation;
- Macroeconomic stability and equitable growth;
- Primary sector development;
- Education and human resources development;
Vision: “A Standardized and Sound Industrial Relations, Equitable Decent Employment Opportunities, Safe Working Environment and Improved Social Dialogue and Social Protection For All”.
- To implement labour legislation reform and apply International Labour Standards;
- Promotion of decent employment opportunities, particularly for young women and men, and inclusive of persons with disabilities;
- Capacity building of tripartite partners and improvement of social dialogue;
- Increased social protection;
Aims & Objectives:
- To develop Vanuatu’s own Labour Laws through its Labour legislation reform in conjunction with the International Labour Standards;
- Review Employment Policy guidelines to promote skills training tools and creation of jobs for young women men and inclusive of persons with disabilities;
- Capacity building of tripartite partners and improvement of social dialogue and increased social protection for domestic and temporary overseas labour migrant workers;